Call Us Today
Twin Cities Legal Service, PLLC

Family Law &
Collaborative Law

Linda K. Wray - Attorney at Law

Family Court Appeals

It Is Possible To Appeal A Family Court Decision

A loss in family law court is not necessarily the end of the process. You may have the option of appealing your case.

Before an appeal is filed, your attorney will likely file a Motion for Amended Findings or New Trial to ask the trial court judge to reconsider his or her decision. This must be done within 30 days of the judge’s decision following a trial. If you are not satisfied with the judge’s ruling following the Motion for Amended Findings or New Trial, your attorney will commence an appeal by filing of a Notice of Appeal and Statement of Case. The Court of Appeals will then refer the case to mandatory mediation — which may take one to two months. If the case cannot be settled during the mediation process, attorneys prepare and file briefs addressing the issues decided by the trial court, which are viewed as decided incorrectly — either because the facts were not properly identified or the law was not properly applied to the facts.

Attorneys give oral arguments before the Court of Appeals regarding the issues which were briefed one to four months or so, after the first brief is filed. The Court of Appeals decision is rendered thereafter.

Learn More About Appealing A Family Court Ruling

As a Minnesota divorce lawyer with more than 20 years of experience, Linda K. Wray will skillfully handle your appeal. Whether you are seeking to appeal your divorce, child custody and parenting time, or child support, our law firm can assist you.

If you are interested in the appeals process in Minnesota, or would like more information regarding the appellate process, call 952-806-9900 or contact us online to schedule an appointment with an experienced Edina appellate law attorney.